Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Massive Stars in Open Cluster Pismis 24


Credit: NASA, ESA and J. M. Apellániz (IAA, Spain).
Explanation: How massive can a normal star be? Estimates made from distance, brightness and standard solar models had given one star in the open cluster Pismis 24 over 200 times the mass of our Sun, making it a record holder. This star is the brightest object located just to the right of the gas front in the above image. Close inspection of images taken recently with the Hubble Space Telescope, however, have shown that Pismis 24-1 derives its brilliant luminosity not from a single star but from three at least. Component stars would still remain near 100 solar masses, making them among the more massive stars currently on record. Toward the image left, stars are still forming in the associated emission nebula NGC 6357, including several that appear to be breaking out and illuminating a spectacular cocoon.

20 comments:

The Merry Widow said...

Oh, oh, oh, oh, ...

tmw

Eyes said...

Yes, this one really takes your breath away, doesn't it?

The Merry Widow said...

Gorgeous, unbelievable, oh I'm out of words!

tmw

In Russet Shadows said...

This is the most amazing celestial pic I have ever seen. Congrats on finding it. I'm saving the pic.

Eyes said...

Hi RS, Yes it is magnificent. I have the NASA Apod website as my homepage, so I get to see a new one every day:>?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

Gayle said...

I'm snagging it too, Eyes. Thanks! It's glorious!

Always On Watch said...

I see angels--lower right, foreground.

This is the best photo you've ever posted, Eyes.

nanc said...

breathtaking!

how glorious is our Maker!

The Merry Widow said...

I was gorging on APOD earlier, Lordy, it's too much sometimes! I can hardly wait to get my incorruptable body, then I will be able to gaze upon beauties unspeakable without my heart stopping!

tmw

Unknown said...

It's so gorgeous, it's difficult to believe that it's not a painting, or some computer generated image!

Wowza!

Eyes said...

Yep, it's a beauty!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Eyes. I'm looking forward to more beauties like these in the New Year!

Brooke said...

Hey, Eyes: You've been tagged.

Don't worry, it's a short one! :D

*running away*

VerityINK said...

Absolutely gorgeous--I didn't think it was real!

I'm tagging ya!

http://elmersbro.bloghi.com/2006/12/22/tagged-dangit.html

For Christmas, I want

music, books, and an LDotter's pin and mug

The Merry Widow said...

Hohoho! Donal got caught in another double tag! First me, then you...guess we're just popular Eyes!
Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you and your "Sweet Baboo"!

tmw
PS Sent you an "awwwwww" video, thanks to Donal!

nanc said...

CHRISTMAS PARTY AT LONGRANGE!

it's a tmw, warren and nanc fireside chat.

merry christmas, eyes~!

American Crusader said...

Gorgeous picture eyes...MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Have a great and SAFE holiday season.

gandalf said...

to eyes and all who visit her site

I wish you a hopeful christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear

Eyes said...

Merry Christmas to you all!!!

The Merry Widow said...

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year, all y'all!

tmw